Ferrite testing is a fast, inexpensive, and accurate process. Ferrite testing is used to assess the content of ferrite in stainless steels in elements of machinery such as welds, or within overlays in field and laboratory settings. It is also used to determine ferrite content percentages of duplex stainless steel piping, within pressure vessels, tanks, castings and also within any mechanical components.
What is Ferrite?
• Ferrite is one of the metallurgical phases
components found in the microstructure of
both austenitic and duplex stainless steels.
• In austenitic stainless steels weld metal, ferrite
influences the mechanical properties of the metal.
• Weldability (solidification cracking tendencies)
• In duplex stainless steels, ferrite influences
mechanical properties corrosion performance
• Proper ferrite content provides a balance between
ductility, toughness, corrosion resistance, and crack prevention